The weight gained due to excessive lubrication that may impair body health can cause obesity. Factors such as unhealthy diet, inactivity, genetic predisposition are the main causes of obesity. It may be necessary to seek medical help to get rid of excess weight. The goal in obesity treatment should be to reach the weight that can lead a quality life. You can find detailed information about the methods applied in the treatment of obesity and obesity surgery in the continuation of our article.
What is Obesity Treatment?
Even if obesity patients try to lose weight, sometimes they cannot be successful with their own methods. It is difficult to get rid of obesity if there is a genetic predisposition, if the body structure is suitable for weight gain and if there are wrong eating habits from infancy. It is the right option to get treatment with expert support to get rid of excess weight. Obesity treatment is a versatile treatment. Experts from different branches (doctor, dietitian, psychologist, physiotherapist) should come together and contribute to the treatment.
Thanks to treatment, diseases caused by obesity and the risk of death are prevented. There are many options in the treatment of obesity. The team of experts from different branches decides which obesity treatment method should be applied, as a result of patient examinations and tests. The main method used for the diagnosis of obesity is Body Mass Index (BMI) measurement. This value is obtained by dividing the weight by the square of the height. The resulting values are classified according to the scale determined by the World Health Organization.
The main non-surgical methods in the treatment of obesity include diet, exercise, behavior modification and drug therapy. Stomach botox is also a kind of weight loss method. Surgical methods are used for the obesity problem that cannot be solved by these methods. Bariatric surgery, on the other hand, is divided into two main groups as restrictive and malabsorptive surgeries.
Obesity Treatment Methods
There are various methods used in the treatment of obesity. The general condition and wishes of the patient decide which method to use. The role of changing life conditions in the treatment of obesity is great. The body, which attains a regular life with diet and exercise, becomes healthier. It is possible to get away from bad eating habits with the help of a dietitian. Individuals who include exercise and sports in their lives can have a more vigorous body. It is important for health to do the right exercises and movements with the guidance of a physiotherapist. People can stay away from wrong habits that cause weight gain with the support of a psychologist. In addition to these, it may be possible to find a solution to obesity with drug treatment. However, it is not a preferred method due to the many side effects of drugs.
The aim of nutrition therapy in obesity is to reduce the Body Mass Index (BMI) value to an appropriate level. Weight loss can be achieved with regular nutrition and diets. Each individual has an ideal weight that is appropriate for age, gender, activity status, and genetic characteristics. Each person’s diet is different. For this reason, it is the healthiest to diet in accordance with the recommendations of the dietitian. The daily amount of energy, protein and fat that the person should take is determined. After the nutrition program is made, it is necessary to follow this program with the control of a dietitian. It is not correct for people to apply various diet methods that they have heard from their environment or the media. These diets are not individual. It will not be beneficial for obesity and may be harmful for body health.
The body releases energy through exercise. Thanks to the right exercise programs specific to the person, weight is lost in a healthy way. In addition, physical activity develops the muscles, making the person stronger, stronger, fit and energetic. Wrong and heavy sports can do more harm than good to the body. Therefore, it is important to get expert support and to be evaluated by a physiotherapist while making an exercise plan.
Behavior Change Treatment
With behavior change treatment, it is aimed to stay away from the reasons that lead the person to eat. In adverse situations, people who feel hungry even though they are not actually hungry and tend to eat may become conscious that this behavior is not correct. With social support, positive behaviors are reinforced and they become a lifestyle.
There are various drug treatments used in the treatment of obesity. However, these drugs have many side effects. For this reason, it is necessary not to turn to drugs unless it is necessary. If it is necessary to use medication, it is very important to do it under the supervision of a doctor. It is not correct to use products that are marketed in the environment or through the media and sold for weight loss. These products may cause irreversible consequences for human health.
The advanced treatment method used in the treatment of obesity is surgical treatment. This method can be applied if it is thought that other treatment methods do not benefit or will not benefit. Surgical treatment methods are very diverse. All methods are applied with closed ( laparoscopic ) technique. With the development of modern medicine, new methods are emerging. Surgeries applied in the surgical treatment of obesity should be performed by surgeons who are experts in their field.
Obesity Surgery Methods
Surgery is not the first choice in the treatment of obesity. However, in cases where methods such as diet and exercise are not successful, surgical treatments can be applied. It is divided into two groups as restrictive and malabsorptive surgeries according to their characteristics and application methods.
- Stomach Clamp (Gastric Band) Surgery: In this method, an inflatable ring is attached to the area near the entrance of the patient’s stomach at any time. Thanks to this ring, the person cannot consume much food as the stomach takes the shape of an hourglass. Nutrition is provided with liquid and soft foods. With the help of a thin tube placed under the skin, the ring can be widened and narrowed. However, since some people do not reduce eating, the food accumulates in the upper part of the stomach and esophageal enlargement may occur. Also, damage to the stomach surface can occur if the ring is widened and narrowed too much. It is highly preferred because it is a relatively easy and reversible method.
- Tube Stomach Surgery (Sleeve Gastrectomy): With the sleeve gastrectomy , which is a very common method, a part of the stomach is removed and the stomach is reduced. The shrinking stomach is formed into a tube. In addition, a decrease in appetite is observed due to the absence of the hormone called Ghrelin, which is secreted from the surgically removed region of the stomach. It takes a few weeks to switch to a normal diet after the surgery.
- Gastric Folding Surgery (Sleeve Gastric Plication): Holes are made at certain points of the stomach. The edges of these holes are folded over the stomach and sewn. Thus, the volume of the stomach is reduced. Thanks to the reduced stomach volume, rapid weight loss is achieved.
- Gastric Balloon: A balloon containing liquid or air is placed in the stomach. Thanks to this balloon, the stomach content is reduced and food intake is reduced. However, if the balloon stays in the stomach for more than six months, it may lead to negative conditions such as deflating and infection in the balloon. Therefore, it is important to follow the patient by the doctor.
- Gastric By-pass Surgery: Gastric by-pass is one of the gastric reduction surgery methods. In this operation, the stomach is reduced. The shrunken stomach is connected to the intestine, bypassing a part of the intestine. The biliary tract is also joined from below with the intestine. Thus, the digestion of food along the bypassed part of the intestine is prevented. Foods are digested less and are excreted from the body and weight gain is reduced. However, because the skipped part of the intestine is the area where vitamins enter the body, vitamin deficiency can be seen in patients. Patients may need to be given vitamin supplements .
- Mini Gastric By-pass Surgery: It is a simpler version of gastric bypass surgery. It is a kind of stomach reduction surgery method. The shrunken stomach is combined with the intestine from below, bypassing the two-meter part of the intestine. This reduces the absorption of nutrients.
- Duodenal Switch Surgery: In this operation, the stomach is shrunk and turned into a tube like an intestine. The stomach, which is made into a tube, is connected to the intestine from below and continuity is ensured. In this way, the individual’s food intake is restricted and food digestion is reduced. The patient needs vitamin support.
Very successful results can be obtained with surgical methods of obesity. However, surgical operations alone are not enough. The patient needs to pay attention to his diet, exercises and habits. It is not possible for people who do not have a regular lifestyle to achieve successful results with surgical methods. Obesity treatment is a team effort. If you think you have a weight problem, consult a specialist doctor immediately.